Now is the time to prepare for the increased pace of the final weeks of the year. We encourage all of our clients to be mindful of the impact that the festive season can have on your health - particularly around sleep, diet and alcohol consumption. However if you do choose to indulge occasionally then you there are steps you can take to minimise the damage so that you can return to optimal health as quickly as possible.
With the throng of office parties, pre-Christmas catch ups and family dinners appearing in your calendar, you may need to give your body extra support to stay healthy and replace much needed antioxidants. This is important for anyone interested in health and healthy ageing because this time of year can overload your natural detoxification pathways resulting in oxidative damage, one of the key hallmarks of aging.
An antioxidant rich diet has been shown in the research to provide a protective effect against the development heart disease, cancers and age-related deterioration(1). Antioxidant compounds including the plant polyphenols found in green leafy vegetables, berries, cherries, grapes, green tea, dark chocolate and coffee prevent oxidative damage at a cellular level. One specific polyphenol, resveratrol which is found in grapes and wine has been shown to suppress the expression of inflammatory biomarkers, supporting healthy aging and longevity(2). Plant polyphenols may also offer a specific protective effect to the brain because of their ability to cross the blood-brain barrier(3).
During periods where your diet is less than optimal you may need to supplement with these antioxidant compounds to provide ongoing support to your detoxification and immune systems.
Each product in the Functional Self detoxification range provides powerful antioxidants and natural detoxifiers that have been specially selected to support your immune system, detoxification pathways and cardiovascular health. Our liver and kidneys are continuously detoxifying, but will benefit from support to remove additional toxins from the body, particularly when we don’t always get the sleep we need in the lead up to Christmas and New Year.
Some of our detox favourites include:
- DTOX Natural hangover defense - This natural alcohol detoxification formula combines Cysteine, NAC and Vitamin C with super antioxidants to ease recovery and reduce hangover symptoms. It features powerful natural ingredients that block the conversion of alcohol to Acetaldehyde, the hangover-causing compound.
- Glutathione - Glutathione is the most powerful antioxidant in your body. It is naturally produced in the liver and found in every cell and protects the body from inflammation, toxins, and pathogens. When your body doesn’t make enough glutathione, for example during times of added stress or overscheduling, normal health functions and your immune system can become compromised.
- The PushCatch™ Liver Detox - a versatile two-step cleansing protocol designed to help support the liver. In the body, powerful antioxidants buttress a liposomal blend of bitters to “push” toxins to the gut. There, natural binders “catch” the toxins so that they can be safely eliminated by the body.
- Liver Support - works to protect your liver from damage by providing natural antioxidants including Vitamin C and L-Methionine - the primary methylating agent in the liver.
- Calcium D-Glucarate - this is the precursor to Glucaric acid which helps bind up and eliminate toxins supporting a vital detoxification pathway in your liver.
- Coconut Charcoal - a highly absorbent charcoal product with millions of tiny pores that can capture, bind, and remove up to 100 times the charcoal’s weight in toxins. This inexpensive detox product can be taken before going to bed for rapid detoxification and removal of toxins while you sleep.
- H2 Elite - a molecular hydrogen tablet which can be easily added to pure drinking water, providing powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits.
We also offer a Bulletproof Detox Power bundle so you can help your body to detox, repair and return to optimal health.
If you are concerned about detoxification, we recommend diagnostic testing so you know what you are dealing with. We offer non-invasive testing and can provide a liver detoxification profile to ensure your liver is functioning well. Get in touch on our health coaching page if you would like to find out more.
1. Plant polyphenols as dietary antioxidants in human health and disease
2. Resveratrol: a multitargeted agent for age-associated chronic diseases.
3. Do polyphenols enter the brain and does it matter? Some theoretical and practical considerations