Bulletproof coffee is the ultimate morning fuel to kickstart your metabolism and leave you feeling satiated for the rest of the day. Created by Dave Asprey, it’s a mixture of high-quality, toxin-free coffee, MCT oil, and butter/ghee, which results in a cup of coffee with a rich, creamy taste and superior nutritional advantages.
This coffee recipe is ideal for anyone who follows a keto, paleo, or low-carb diet, as well as those who do intermittent fasting (drink it without breaking your fast). Adding MCT oil to your coffee gives you a boost of sustained energy and allows you to stay in ketosis.
How to make Bulletproof coffee:
Serves: 1 (double recipe for 2 serves)
• Filtered boiling water
• 1 cup of FS coffee or Bulletproof coffee
• 1 tsp of Bulletproof Brain Octane or MCT oil (you can build up to 1-2 tbsp over several days)
• 1 tbsp of grass-fed, unsalted butter or ghee
1. Start with 200ml of filtered boiling water.
2. Measure 2 ½ heaped tablespoons freshly ground Bulletproof Coffee Beans and brew using your favourite coffee brewing method – French press, moka, AeroPress etc.
3. Pour in 1 teaspoon of Bulletproof’s Brain Octane (build up to 1-2 tablespoons over several days). You can also use MCT oil.
4. Add 1 tablespoon grass-fed, unsalted butter or ghee (build up to 2 tablespoons or more over several days).
5. Mix in a blender for 20 seconds. Ensure the oil and butter are thoroughly emulsified and the drink is frothy and creamy without a film of oil on the surface.
6. Pour into your favourite cup, or enjoy it on the go in a travel mug.
Enjoy your coffee!
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (1 cup):
• Calories: 230
• Fat: 25g
• Saturated Fat: 21g
• Carbs: 0g
• Protein: 0g
• Fibre: 0g
• Sugar: 0g
• Salt: 0mg
Coffee on the go:
Bulletproof coffee does produce foam as pictured, but be very careful to secure the lid as the contents will be hot. It helps to use a frothing spiral for extra froth and to help it mix.
Many large-scale coffee production processes lead to contamination from toxins and mould. The main culprits here are ‘mycotoxins’, which are metabolites produced by certain types of fungi.
Toxins in coffee can steal your mental edge and make you weak, but clean coffee provides antioxidants and a range of health benefits. If you are a coffee lover, it is worth getting a premium, toxin-free coffee to help you think clearly and feel great.
What is MCT and why add it to my coffee?
MCT is short for Medium-Chain Triglycerides, which are saturated fatty acids found in coconut oil. MCT oils like Bulletproof Brain Octane are uniquely able to metabolise effortlessly in the body. This is because they quickly convert to ketones and give you a fast and clean source of energy.
Bulletproof's Brain Octane Oil is a premium MCT oil derived from fresh coconuts.
Caprylic acid provides ketones as a direct energy source to the brain, which may provide cognitive benefits. Ketones can pass the blood-brain barrier leading to improved focus and mental clarity. Studies have shown that C-8 chain fatty acid MCTs enhance cognition and improve memory.
Why add butter or ghee to my coffee?
Ghee (or clarified butter) is cows butter cooked gently over a low heat with the top froth skimmed off. What you’re left with is a golden, rich liquid that is high in vitamins A, D, K and C, minerals and healthy fats.
4 reasons butter is good for you:
1. Butter is packed with fat-soluble vitamins.
2. Butter is a unique source of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) – potentially a powerful anti-cancer agent.
3. Contains 4% butyric acid, an anti-carcinogenic short-chain fatty acid.
4. Grass-fed butter also contains k2 – which protects you from heart disease, promotes healthy skin, strengthens bones, promotes brain function and helps to prevent cancer.
Adding a high-quality organic grass-fed butter or ghee will also boost energy by giving your body additional healthy fats required for cellular energy production. This can help you feel fuller for longer!
You can view Dave Asprey’s (the inventor of Bulletproof coffee) video on how you make Bulletproof Coffee here: